Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Narcissism is boring

It's been 5 months since I "quit" my job and I'm still unemployed. Well, I'm employed part-time: 30 hours a week. I have to admit, working three 10-hour days is actually not so bad. I hate the 30 hours I'm at the office, but only having to do something I hate for 30 hours a week is a heck of a lot better than doing something I hate for 50 to 60 hours a week. Plus, I'm an hourly employee now, so putting in a few extra hours on the weekend means I'm now actually being compensated for them.

You'd think with all my free time (at least 20 hours more spare time per week!), I would have some great blog articles to show.

And you'd think wrong.

I don't know where the spare time has gone. Maybe wedding planning? Although according to all the overdue alerts I'm getting from my checklist on the Knot.com, I really haven't done all that much wedding planning. (Though, as a side note, I did order the cutest brooch bouquet in spite of all my protestations that anything more than $10 for a bridal bouquet is a complete waste of money. I consider myself now ahead of the game since I have a bouquet picked out and am now justified in doing nothing else on my wedding planning for at least 3 weeks.)

Perhaps my spare time has gone into exercising? I did start a half-marathon training program, but I'm doing the bare minimum mileage required for it and interpreting the days where the program calls for an "easy" run to mean an "easy" sitting on the couch and watching "Say Yes to the Dress" re-runs. (Which I suppose counts towards wedding planning, as I am voyeuristically getting ideas for my own wedding that way.)

At any rate, I can't say that I've edified myself, improved society, or even cleaned out my closet since shifting to part-time. I've certainly not been writing, I can say that much.

However, I did spend some of my free time thinking about writing, which I will allow myself to consider as productive use of time. While "thinking" about writing and watching the highly mediocre Julie and Julia movie about some obsessed Julia Child narcissistic blogger with a tiny kitchen and inexplicably large amounts of cooking equipment stored in said kitchen, I realized that most blogs people write are, well, boring. I've certainly never read one for more than about 10 minutes, unless it was making fun of someone else.

And that's when it struck me: blogs about people other than the writer are interesting. Blogs about how the writer spent his Tuesday afternoon wanting to shoot himself at the post office are not. And maybe writing blogs about people other than the writer are more interesting to write, and provide needed motivation and inspiration for writing. Experiencing the post office on a Tuesday afternoon is bad enough; why re-live the mundane in a blog? Why not write about the mundane experiences of other people at the very least?

Unfortunately I'm at work right now - getting paid by the hour! - and need to return to productivity to ensure that my place on the payroll isn't usurped by someone who is actually interested in working here. But I have very high aspirations of returning tomorrow...soon...someday...to start blogging about the lives of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment